Start your day off with a breakfast that will make you feel classy and chic. Enjoy the summery flavor of these scones along with some tea for optimal enjoyment. Getting a surprise chunk of pineapple in each crumbly bite adds the perfect jolt of sweetness!
Pineapple Scones [Vegan]
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons coconut oil, frozen
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can crushed pineapple, drained
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 tablespoons sliced raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the lemon juice and nondairy milk. Once the mixture curdles, add the maple syrup.
- Remove the coconut oil from the freezer and cut it into small pieces. Work the coconut oil pieces into the dry mix until fully incorporated. Be careful not to handle it too much, though. You don’t want the coconut oil to melt until it gets into the oven.
- Slowly pour the curdled milk mixture into the dry ingredients a little at a time, followed by the vanilla and pineapple. Stir until all of the ingredients are fully combined.
- Carefully transfer the dough to a floured surface and form it into a ball. Use your hands to flatten it into a 2-inch thick slab. Fold the dough in half by picking up the end furthest from you and bringing it down to meet the end closest to you. Flatten it a bit, and then fold the dough in half again from left to right. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 1 1/2-inch slab.
- With a drinking glass, stamp the dough into circles (or use a knife to cut triangles) and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Take the remaining dough and repeat the fold, fold, roll, and cut process. You should end up with between 8 and 10 scones.
- Lightly spray the tops of the scones with olive oil or coconut oil cooking spray. Sprinkle each with coconut sugar, and top with sliced almonds and rosemary.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the scones are fluffy and golden brown. Transfer the scones to a wire rack and allow them to cool slightly before serving.
Book design by Page Street Publishing Co. Photography by Allie Lehman Cover design by Mette Hornung Rankin https://www.amazon.com/Frugal-Vegan-Affordable-Delicious-Cooking/dp/1624143776/?tag=onegrepla-20