Banh mi shops inspired this Vegan Pickled Vegetable Sandwich. Traditional banh mi sandwiches contain some kind of meat, carrots, daikon radish, fresh coriander and mayonnaise. We thought it would lend a really nice balance of flavors to pickle the veggies and pair it with creamy vegan mayo. The outcome was divine. It’s such a fresh and interesting sandwich. It may seem strange at first, but give it a try. The flavours really pop!
Pickled Vegetable Sandwich [Vegan]
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar (you can use agave, maple syrup, coconut sugar, whatever you have)
- 2 carrots, finely sliced
- 1 cup radishes, chopped
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander/cilantro leaves
- 1 frech baguette
- 4 teaspoons vegan mayonnaise
- In a pot, add the vinegar, water and sugar and heat until it comes to a simmer.
- In 3 separate bowls, place your prepared vegetables. It's important to pickle the veggies separately so the colors don't bleed into each other.
- Pour the pickling liquid over the veggies. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Cut your baguette into 4 pieces, slice it down the middle and spread 1 teaspoon on vegan mayo on both sides of the bread.
- Strain your veggies from the liquid and pile high onto the bread.
- Scatter fresh coriander/cilantro leaves on the veggies and serve.