This simple Italian recipe uses only a few ingredients to create a pasta dish that's a beautiful tribute to the power of peppers. This versatile sauce is made from bell peppers, lots of garlic, tomatoes, and a hint of mint to finish the dish off.
Pepperonata: Garlicky Bell Pepper Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 red pepper, sliced
- 1 1/2 green pepper, sliced
- 1 1/2 yellow pepper, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/4 cups tomato purée
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 17 2/3 ounces penne (gluten-free if needed)
- Place the peppers and garlic in a pot and sauté them for 2 minutes in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the wine and allow to evaporate.
- Add the tomato purée, 1 cup of water, and the mint and allow the sauce to simmer.
- Pour the rest of the oil over the sauce and season it with salt and pepper. Cook the penne according to the package instructions.
- Drain the pasta and transfer them to the pot with the peppers.
- Stir the mixture until the pasta is completely coated.
You can also enjoy the pepperonata as an appetizer, as a side, or as a bruschetta topping.