This recipe is perfection for countless reasons! It’s quick, easy, affordable, packs protein with the cashews making the dish more filling, packs a gorgeous color, is comprised of minimal ingredients, perf for any season, perf for entertaining, and perf for anyone who’s a fan of this staple dish, but not all the calories that come along with it!!
Penne Alla Vodka [Vegan]
- 4 cups penne
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 whole medium onion, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup almond milk (more as needed)
- 1 generous pinch red pepper flakes, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons butter and the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Pour in the vodka. Cook and reduce for 2 to 3 minutes, then pour in the tomatoes. Stir the mixture until it's thoroughly combined.
- Add the soaked cashews, almond milk and nutritional yeast to a high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Add additional almond milk as needed to get things moving.
- Now add in the tomatoes/onion/garlic combo and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce back into the pan with the cooked pasta and cook low/med heat until warmed through.
- Sprinkle in the red pepper flakes and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil if desired.