These are the most outlandishly decadent cupcakes you will ever have the privilege to bite into – but they are a bit labor intensive. The almost-black chocolate cake is rich, moist and filled with an even richer chocolate fudge and then the cake is topped with a creamy peanut butter cheesecake frosting and finished with a drizzle of ganache. These cupcakes are pretty much the best thing we've seen in a while.
Peanut Butter Fudge Stuffed Cupcakes [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 11/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil
- 11/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 9 tablespoons hot water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Fudge:
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons corn syrup (you can sub glucose or golden syrup here)
- 8 ounces vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 pounds confectioner's sugar or icing sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons cold water, to adjust the consistency
For the Cheesecake Icing:
- 12 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 11/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Ganache:
- 4 ounces semisweet vegan chocolate
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk of your choice
To Make the Cake:
- Combine the ground flaxseed with the 9 tablespoons of hot water and whisk it until it's smooth.
- Let it stand for at least 5 minutes or up to 30 minutes to thicken to a paste.
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda together in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the coconut oil, 1 1/2 cup of boiling water, and cocoa powder together and whisk them smooth.
- Add the cocoa mixture and the flax eggs mixture, along with the vanilla extract, to the flour mixture and whisk them smooth.
- Pour the batter into your cupcake tins and bake them immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 20 minutes or until the cupcakes are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- Cool the cakes in the pan then flip them out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
To Make the Fudge:
- In a small pot on the stove, combine the first 3 ingredients and bring them to a boil for about 2-3 minutes. Then pour them into a bowl and allow them to sit in the freezer to rapid cool while you gather the other ingredients.
- In the bowl of your mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, or in a large mixing bowl with a hand blender, add the cocoa powder and the cooled but still warm simple syrup and mix them until it forms a firm mass.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the vegetable oil and solid vegetable shortening and mix it well.
- Add the corn syrup and the softened butter, mix them smooth.
- Add the sifted confectioner's sugar a little bit at a time and mix it until it's smooth.
- Slowly add some of the cold water about 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
To Make the Frosting:
- Combine the vegan cream cheese and the peanut butter in a mixer with a paddle attachment and mix them on low speed to smooth them out.
- Add the sifted confectioner's sugar and the vanilla extract and mix them on a low speed just until they're combined.
- Refrigerate this until you are going to use it.
To Make the Ganache:
- Combine the chopped chocolate and milk in a small saucepot, over low heat, stirring constantly, until it's melted and smooth.
- Cut a cone out of the top of your cupcake. Imagine you are creating a very tiny ice cream cone holder.
- Fill the hole with the fudge.
- Top it with the cheesecake frosting and drizzle the ganache over the top.