This refreshing peach and lemongrass shub is the ideal mocktail base for a warm summer night. The sweetness of the peaches and maple syrup is complimented by the subtle citrus of the lemongrass and everything is tied together by a bold tang from the apple cider vinegar. Plus, shrubs (drinking vinegars) are great for the digestive system and the overall health of your gut.
Peach and Lemongrass Shrub [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 heaping cup diced peaches (2-3 peaches)
- 2-3 stalks of lemongrass, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- sparkling water to serve
- Put the apple cider vinegar in a sauce pan and set it over medium heat to begin to warm it.
- Add the lemongrass to a clean, quart-sized jar, then bruise it with either a muddler or the end of a wooden spoon.
- Add the peaches and maple syrup. Mash them with the muddler until the fruit is broken down.
- Once the vinegar is beginning to produce steam, pour it over the fruit and syrup mixture. Allow the shrub to cool for 30 minutes, then place a lid on it, shake it a few times, and park it in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours or longer if you have the time.
- When you are ready to use the shrub, strain out any of the fruit solids then discard or compost them. Mix the shrub in a 1:1 ratio with sparkling water to enjoy.
If you’d like to go from mocktail to cocktail, add a shot of gin.