Pappa al Pomodoro is a thick Italian soup prepared with fresh tomatoes, bread, olive oil, garlic, and basil from the Siena area. It can be served hot, tepid, or chilled like a Spanish gazpacho.
Pappa al Pomodoro [Vegan]
- 2 1/4 cup tomatoes
- 1 cup stale Tuscan bread, sliced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Turn tomatoes over and cut two small shallow incisions cross shape. Boil for 4 minutes. Remove, let cool then peel.
- Rub bread slices with garlic and Place in a large pan.
- Pour in the tomatoes and the vegetable stock so that the slices of bread are totally covered.
- Add the sugar and cook over low heat for 40 to 50 minutes, until the liquid is fully evaporated.
- Stir occasionally to allow even cooking and to help the bread break down and absorb the liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Serve in individual bowls and pour olive oil to taste. Garnish with basil leaves.