Pancit palabok is a Filipino dish that's great for potlucks, parties, and gatherings. The traditional version contains rice noodles that are served with seafood and blanketed in a fishy sauce. This version replaces seafood with tofu and vegetables and the rice noodles are blanketed in a creamy, savory sauce.
Pancit Palabok: Filipino Rice Noodles and Vegetables [Vegan]
For the Noodles:
- 1 16-ounce package of rice sticks noodles
For the Broth:
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup potato flour (not potato starch)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3-ounce packet annatto powder, whisked and dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoon Indian black salt/kala namak
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- A pinch of black pepper
For the Main Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed, and minced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 3/4 cup green beans, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup fried tofu cubes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Toppings (optional):
- 1 tablespoon green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon roasted garlic
- 3-5 small citrus fruits, cut in half
- 2-3 tablespoons vegan chicharon
- Submerge the noodles in a shallow dish of warm water for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour all ingredients for broth in a medium-sized pot. Mix well and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the broth begins to boil. Remove from heat.
- Heat a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Heat the oil in the pan and sauté the garlic for a few minutes before adding the onions. Sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots, green beans, and tofu. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Pour the sautéed vegetables into the pot of broth. Mix well. Adjust the flavor with sea salt and black salt, to taste. It should taste more savory than preferred, to balance out the neutral flavor of the noodles.
- Boil a 6-8 cups of water in a medium-sized pot. Remove noodles from the shallow dish, then transfer and blanch them in the boiling pot of water. Quickly drain noodles using a colander.
- Place the noodles on a serving plate. Pour about 4 ladle-full of sauce and mix to fully incorporate.
- Generously pour more sauce, this time only on the center of noodles.
- Sprinkle toppings, if desired, and serve with citrus fruit slices on the side.
- Serve warm.
For a low-salt diet, cut down sea salt and black salt to 1 teaspoon and add more garlic and onion powder. While preparing and cutting the vegetables, you could fry the tofu cubes on a pan over high heat.