These paleo vegan blondies are moist, chewy in the middle with a light golden crust on top, and naturally sweet from yellow plantains. They have no added sugar at all, so you can snack without the sugar crash. Eat these for dessert or breakfast — they're that good!
Paleo Plantain Blondies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter (manna) or 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal, plus 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 large yellow plantain (heaping 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour/powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup vegan 100 percent dark chocolate, shaved/finely chopped (unsweetened or stevia sweetened)
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees. Prep flax eggs by combining flaxseed meal and water and refrigerating for 15 minutes.
- Line an 8-inch by 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper (the paper can be hanging over sides).
- Add wet ingredients to a mixing bowl: coconut cream, butter, vanilla, flax eggs, and slicked and mashed yellow plantain. Mix well together with a whisk.
- In another bowl or in a stand mixer, add all dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, baking soda, and spices and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing well until you have a smooth batter. Add chocolate to the mix and using a silicone spatula or spoon, mix the chocolate in.
- Then spread the batter evenly with a spatula into your lined baking pan.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes until center is cooked and there is a golden crust on top and a fork comes out clean when pierced in the center.
- Let blondies cool out of the hot pan on the parchment paper, on top of a cookie drying rack if you have it. Let cool by a window for 10-15 minutes and then you can cut into squares. Serve and you can store out to keep the crust intact on top or seal to keep more moist (like a banana bread).