Orange sesame 3-bean salad, a flavorful blend of sweet oranges, citrus-soy dressing, and nutty sesame seeds, is a healthy twist on an old favorite.
Orange Sesame 3-Bean Salad [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 – 15 ounce can cannellini beans (or other white beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 medium oranges
- 1 lemon, juiced (or 3 tablespoons lemon juice)
- 3-4 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce or Tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- To toast the sesame seeds, place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 a cup of sesame seeds. Stir the seeds for 1-2 minutes until they start to brown and get fragrant. Remove them from the heat until you are ready to use them.
- In a medium salad bowl, combine the beans and scallions. Set aside.
- Next, segment the oranges. Start by cutting off the top and bottom from 3 of the oranges. Set them upright on the cutting board, and cut off the rest of the peeling.
- Hold an orange in one and carefully separate the segment from the membrane using a small knife. Cut the segments into bite-sized pieces. Add to the salad bowl.
- Cut and juice the remaining orange and juice the lemon and add the juices to a small bowl or jar. Add 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric, and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Mix well and add to the salad.
- Add the toasted sesame seeds and mix everything.
- Serve it up!