Poppyseed cake that's brimming with orangey goodness and topped with a creamy frosting? Yes, please! This moist cake is easy-to-make, is perfectly decadent (but can still be enjoyed for breakfast), and has lovely citrusy notes in each bite. Enjoy with some vanilla rooibos tea.
Orange Poppy Seed Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup fine sugar
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- Combine the melted vegan spread and sugar in a bowl and mix. Add the rest of the ingredients (the poppy seeds and orange zest go in last) and combine but don’t over mix. Bake for 30-40 minutes on 356°F.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, just mix all of the ingredients together.
- Top the cake with frosting and serve.