This season, instead of covering up the beautiful glazed apples inside of your pies, you give them their time in the spotlight by making an open-face pie! This recipe is like a two for one – the rich and spicy filling of a pumpkin pie with the sugar, cinnamon-y goodness of an apple one on top! Simply purée, layer, bake, and devour.
Open-Face Apple Pumpkin Pie [Vegan]
- 9-inch vegan pie crust (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/8-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cup puréed pure pumpkin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, 1/2 cup of the sugar, cinnamon, and salt, and stir until the apples are evenly coated with the other ingredients.
- In another large bowl, combine the pumpkin purée, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and the remaining cornstarch, and sugar. Stir until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the pie crust, and use a spatula to spread it around evenly.
- Top the pumpkin filling with the apple filling by layering them slightly over each other in a clockwise circle around the outside perimeter of the pumpkin filling. Once that circle is complete, layer the apples in another circle a little closer to the center going counter clock-wise. Continue this process alternating clock-wise positions until you've reached the center of the pie. You may or may not have some apple slices leftover.
- Bake the pie in the pre-heated oven for 40-45 minutes, checking in on it after about 20 minutes. If the edges or top of the pie start to brown before it's done baking then cover it loosely with foil until it is finished.
- Remove the pie from the oven, and allow it to rest for around 2 hours before serving. This allows the filling to tighten up a bit, and will help prevent the apple juices from leaking.