This is a variation on pulled pork sandwiches with the addition of peaches. Adding peaches to any BBQ situation, or even just eating BBQ peaches, is delicious! The sweetness paired with the spices of the BBQ sauce make for a super tasty flavor combo. Mix that up with savory and chewy mushrooms and jackfruit and it’s a sandwich that even your nonvegan friends will be asking you to make every Fourth of July! Speaking of which, you can turn this into sliders with smaller buns for a breezy appetizer.
One-Sheet Bbq Mushroom Jack ‘n Peaches Sandwiches [Vegan]
- 8 ounces (225 g) sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 can (14 ounces/396 g) jackfruit, drained and shredded
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (243 g) fresh or 1 can (15 ounces/425 g) peaches, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup (38 g) dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) vegan BBQ sauce
- 6 vegan hamburger buns or sandwich rolls
- 1 cup (235 g) store-bought fried onions
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Add the mushrooms, jackfruit, and onion to the prepared sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine. Move everything to one side of the sheet pan. Place the peaches on the cleared side in one layer. Bake for 15 minutes, until the mushrooms have started to reduce in size.
- Remove from the oven and add the salt, brown sugar, and BBQ sauce to the jackfruit and mushrooms. Toss to coat jackfruit and mushrooms. Bake for 15 minutes, until the peaches have shrunk slightly and BBQ sauce has evaporated some and become darker in color.
- Mix the peaches with the jackfruit mixture. Divide the mixture among 6 bottom buns and top each with fried onions. Add the top bun and enjoy!
Toast the buns to level this sandwich up. Switch out the peaches with pineapple for a tangier fruit twist. You can also caramelize peaches or pineapple by setting them in a skillet for 6 to 8 minutes over medium-high heat. Flip until the second side is browned and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes.