Veggie soup got an upgrade: this vegetable, potato and barely soup is hearty, comforting and flavorful!
One-Pot Barley and Potato Soup [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter (or oil of choice)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 6 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 2 large stalks celery, diced
- 1 cup barley
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large potato, diced
- Add vegan butter or oil, lime juice, onion, and garlic to a large pot over medium high heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until onions appear somewhat translucent. Add tomato paste and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in veggie broth, coconut cream, carrots, celery, spices, barley and chopped parsley. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes until barley has absorbed some of the moisture.*
- Add in chopped potato and cook, covered, for a final 40-45 minutes over medium low heat, until potatoes are softened.
- Remove from heat and enjoy! Top with more fresh parsley, vegan parmesan or desired toppings.
For a soupier consistency, add in an additional 2 cups of veggie broth.