In the mood for a hearty, crunchy snack? Then these oil-free olive crackers made from chickpea flour will definitely hit the spot. Turn on the oven and get out that rolling pan ’cause we’ll be making crackers!
Oil-Free Olive Crackers [Vegan]
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 7-8 olives, pitted, drained, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup filtered water (+ more if needed)
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add 1/3 cup of water and incorporate using a spoon.
- Knead everything using your hands until a firm dough forms. If the dough is too dry, add more water by the tablespoon.
- Lastly, add the finely chopped olives and knead them into the dough. Cover and put aside for 5-10 min.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the dough in between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll the dough until it's really thin. Make sure that the middle portion is just as thin as the edges, if possible.
- Transfer the parchment paper with the dough onto a baking tray. Carefully remove the top parchment paper.
- Using a knife/pizza cutter cut the dough into small rectangles. Poke each rectangle with a fork a few times, if you want.
- Bake the crackers for 11-15 min until golden brown. The outer crackers might brown up pretty quickly, so you might want to break them off and bake the rest of the dough longer.
- Once done, take the crackers out of the oven and let them cool on the baking tray.