Did you know that basil seeds work the same way that chia seeds do? When combined with water, they take on a gel-like consistency. You can use them to make basil seed puddings, add them to oatmeal and smoothies for added nutrition, or use them as an egg replacer, like in these pancakes! These light, fluffy pancakes are made from a blend of oat and spelt flour and are sweetened naturally with banana. Nobody would ever guess that they use basil seeds in place of eggs!
Basil Seed, Oat, and Spelt Pancakes [Vegan]
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup spelt or whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 large or 2 small ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 2 tablespoons basil seeds
- Coconut oil, to grease the pan
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- In a greased skillet, add a dollop of batter. Wait until it begins to bubble, then flip until cooked on both sides.