French toast is a perfect way to start a weekend. This recipe takes it over the top with crunchy pecans and crispy oats. You can cut the bread into fingers to make them even more fun to eat! This recipe and many more can be found in Kathy Hester's "Vegan Cooking In Your Air Fryer." Available on Amazon!
Nutty Pecan French Toast [Vegan]
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup pecans, or nut of your choice
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 pieces of whole grain vegan bread, regular or cinnamon raisin (or use gluten-free bread)
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk (plain or vanilla)
- Maple syrup, for serving
- Make the topping by adding the oats, nuts, flax seed and cinnamon to your food processor and pulsing until it looks similar to breadcrumbs. Do not over-blend. Pour into a shallow pan that's large enough to dip your bread slices in.
- Add the nondairy milk to a second container, then soak one or two pieces of the bread for about 5 seconds, turn and soak the other side. You don't want to leave it long enough to become mushy. If your bread is fresh and moist, it may take even less time.
- Place bread into your air fryer basket without overlapping. Cook at 350 for 3 minutes, then flip the bread and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Serve topped with maple syrup.