Buckwheat is a great source of complete plant-based protein with one cup uncooked containing 19 grams! So including buckwheat into your meals is a great idea, especially if you’re vegetarian or vegan and trying to bump up your protein intake. Buckwheat is also high in fiber and essential minerals such as manganese, magnesium, zinc, copper, and phosphorus. Plus it adds an irresistibly smooth and creamy texture to smoothies when soaked and blended. Serve this Nutella buckwheat smoothie with a warm berry sauce for a luscious breakfast to keep you cozy on a gloomy day. It's absolutely delicious!
Nutella Buckwheat Smoothie With Warm Blackberry Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/4 cups non-dairy milk of choice (almond, coconut, hemp, etc.)
- 1 ripe banana
- 2-3 large dates, pitted
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons homemade “Nutella”
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2-3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
For the Smoothie:
- Cover buckwheat groats with warm water, add apple cider vinegar and let it soak for 7-24 hours or overnight on the counter
- Drain and fully rinse the buckwheat groats, add to the blender with the rest of ingredients and blend until soft and creamy.
For the Blackberry Sauce
- Bring blackberries to a gentle boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until berries soften and juices thicken slightly, 10–15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in the maple syrup, lemon juice, and cinnamon
- Pour the smoothie in a jar, layering with the warm blackberry sauce and garnish with berries, hazelnuts, pistachios, etc. Enjoy!