Here is a really simple recipe to make 100 percent pure Homemade Coconut Milk with your Vitamix. I’ve had quite a journey over the past several years in trying to find the best non-dairy milk alternative. Here’s how my choices have evolved: Organic Soy Milk (carton) Organic Almond Milk (boxed) Organic Coconut Milk (boxed) Organic Homemade Almond Milk & Organic Homemade Coconut Milk I transitioned away from soy because of the health concerns of soy. Then I transitioned away from the boxed almond and coconut milks because of the questionable additives carrageegan and Vitamin A Palimate. Now, I’ve recently realized that I really had no reason to not make my own coconut milk because I already had a Vitamix and coconut flakes are fairly inexpensive, especially if you buy them in bulk. So now I enjoy making my own milk and you can too! When making your milk don’t forget to use the purest water you can. You don’t want to use regular tap water to make your healthy, pure milk. I always use my water distiller for anything that requires water. Other than that, just make sure your coconut chips/flakes are organic and you’ll be good to go. Super easy and 100 percent organic, pure coconut milk!
How to Make Homemade Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 cup purified or distilled water
- 1 cup organic dry coconut flakes
- Heat the water, but do not bring it to a boil.
- Put 1 cup of the hot water and all the coconut flakes in a Vitamix and blend for approximately 2 - 3 minutes or until well blended.
- 1st Strain: Pour the coconut milk through a nut/milk bag into a bowl, squeezing all of the liquid out with your hands.
- Put the coconut pulp from the first strain and remaining 1/2 cup of hot water back into the Vitamix and blend for another 2 - 3 minutes.
- 2nd Strain: Pour the coconut milk through a nut/milk bag into a bowl, squeezing all of the liquid out with your hands.
- Store coconut milk in an air-tight glass container.
- Keep refrigerated and best if used within 2 days.