This soup is intended to be a dessert. It can be served warm or cold, depending on the weather and time of year!
Norwegian Apple Soup [Vegan]
For The Soup:
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 5 small apples, peeled, sliced, and cored (just over a pound)
- juice of a lemon
- pinch of salt
- a good grind of pepper
- ice cream OR vegan plain or vanilla yogurt OR vegawn whipped cream
- Your favorite vegan butter cookies (optional, but great for dunking)
- Chopped walnuts or pecans for garnish
- Combine all the ingredients except for the lemon juice, salt and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a near boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Continue to cook until the apple are soft but still maintain their shape.
- Remove some of the cooked apples and use a stick blender to puree the rest.
- Return the reserved apples to the soup.
- Stir in the lemon juice along with a little salt and pepper.
- Serve plain or with ice cream or vegan yogurt. Garnish with the walnuts.