The recipe has two parts. Part 1 is a creamy and silky "ice cream" made from coconut cream and golden sweet potato, flavored with peppermint extract and sweetened with stevia and just a touch of maple syrup. Part 2 is a silky and sweet peppermint raw chocolate shell made from coconut oil and raw cacao powder, sweetened with stevia and a hint of maple syrup. This dessert offers a healthy dose of fiber from the sweet potatoes, lots of antioxidants from the raw cacao, healthy fats from the coconut oil and cream, and is quite low in sugar and free from refined sugar. It tastes very rich and satisfying for such an innocent ice cream cake!
No Machine Viennetta [Gluten-Free]
- 3 cups peeled and chopped golden sweet potato, steamed until soft
- 1 can organic coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch pink salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- stevia to taste
- 1/8 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 5-6 tbsp deodorized or virgin coconut oil
- 5-6 tbsp raw cacao powder
- tiny pinch pink salt
- liquid stevia to taste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- Blend together very well in a high speed blender until thick like a cream soup. Taste and adjust sweetness as desired with more maple or stevia. Set aside
- Whisk together all part 2 ingredients in a double boiler over low simmering water, just enough to gently melt. Whisk until smooth. Taste. add extra stevia if not sweet enough.
- Spread half the chocolate mixture evenly along the bottom of a parchment or plastic wrap lined bread pan. Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes to set.
- If you are impatient you can add the coconut mixture to it right away which will marble the two layers together. Pour the coconut mixture on top of the set or unset chocolate layer and spread out evenly to the sides. Place in the freezer to set firm.
- Once set, top with the remaining chocolate mixture (first melting the mixture again over low heat if it has solidified to room temperature). Freeze another ten minutes to set solid.
- Carefully remove the parchment lining shell by lifting the whole thing up holding each side and transferring it parchment and all to a plate. Slice with a sharp knife and serve.
- Sweet Potato