This recipe definitely has that "WOW" factor for when you want to impress your guests. I have made this like four times already, everyone who has tasted it says they can’t believe it is vegan. Mission accomplished!
No-Bake Lemon Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for No-Bake Lemon Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the base:
- 1.5 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 6 medjool dates
- 1 Tbsp solid coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1/4th tsp salt
For the lemon jelly layer:
- 1 & 1/3 cups water
- 1.5 tsp agar agar powder
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
How to Prepare No-Bake Lemon Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Firstly, in a sauce pan, add Agar Agar powder to water and set it aside (No heat, yet). Start with the base
For the base:
- Make Almond meal and oat flour.
- To this, add coconut flour, salt and mix them all very well.
- Add half of this quantity to food processor along with dates until dates breaks down and forms a sticky mixture
- Add this to the rest of the flour, agave, coconut oil, use your fingers and mix them all together until they come together.
- Add to a springform base lined with parchment paper and press with the base of a flat cup to even them out.
- Off this goes into refrigerator.
For the lemon jelly:
- Add tapioca starch to lemon juice and whisk it really well so it is well combined. Set aside.
- Bring the saucepan contents to heat, allow it to boil.
- Add agave to the saucepan whilst stirring. Now, turn heat to low-medium
- Add almond milk, turmeric and mix them all well.
- Add tapioca lemon mixture and stir until it begins to thicken up. Like a gooey chocolate sauce consistency
- Now, add this to the springform base, break the bubbles on top if any (I forgot to do this)
- Back into the refrigerator for 3 hours, until it is firmed up well.
Recipe for optional Chocolate sauce: Mix agave/coconut nectar and cacao until they come together in a sauce-consistency Adapted from Food by Mars Lemon Squares recipe
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.