This recipe definitely has that "WOW" factor for when you want to impress your guests. I have made this like four times already, everyone who has tasted it says they can’t believe it is vegan. Mission accomplished!
No-Bake Lemon Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the base:
- 1.5 cups almonds
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 6 medjool dates
- 1 Tbsp solid coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
- 1/4th tsp salt
For the lemon jelly layer:
- 1 & 1/3 cups water
- 1.5 tsp agar agar powder
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Firstly, in a sauce pan, add Agar Agar powder to water and set it aside (No heat, yet). Start with the base
For the base:
- Make Almond meal and oat flour.
- To this, add coconut flour, salt and mix them all very well.
- Add half of this quantity to food processor along with dates until dates breaks down and forms a sticky mixture
- Add this to the rest of the flour, agave, coconut oil, use your fingers and mix them all together until they come together.
- Add to a springform base lined with parchment paper and press with the base of a flat cup to even them out.
- Off this goes into refrigerator.
For the lemon jelly:
- Add tapioca starch to lemon juice and whisk it really well so it is well combined. Set aside.
- Bring the saucepan contents to heat, allow it to boil.
- Add agave to the saucepan whilst stirring. Now, turn heat to low-medium
- Add almond milk, turmeric and mix them all well.
- Add tapioca lemon mixture and stir until it begins to thicken up. Like a gooey chocolate sauce consistency
- Now, add this to the springform base, break the bubbles on top if any (I forgot to do this)
- Back into the refrigerator for 3 hours, until it is firmed up well.
Recipe for optional Chocolate sauce: Mix agave/coconut nectar and cacao until they come together in a sauce-consistency Adapted from Food by Mars Lemon Squares recipe