Cheese, cheese, cheese ... It’s one of the things people miss the most when transitioning to a plant-based diet. Learning how to make your own vegan cheeses is a great skill to have up your sleeve! This soft cashew chevre is easy to make, contains healthy probiotic strains of bacteria and is great with crackers. Here, it's paired with chives and fresh herbs, plus a recipe for homemade apple pear compote!
Naturally Fermented Cashew Herb Chevre [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Naturally Fermented Cashew Herb Chevre [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Chevre:
- 2 cups cashews
- 1/2 cup probiotic liquid (like rejuvelac or coconut kefir. You can also use water if you don’t have any of these)
- 1 probiotic capsule
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon each dill, chives and parsley, chopped
For the Pear and Cranberry Compote:
- 4 pears, washed and diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- A pinch of salt
How to Prepare Naturally Fermented Cashew Herb Chevre [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Chevre:
- Process in a food processor and place in a colander inside some cheesecloth. Weigh down the covered cheese and allow to drain and ferment for 8-36 hours (depending on how sharp a flavor you like).
- After fermenting 8-36 hours add the sea salt, nutritional yeast, lemon and lemon juice and form into a log shape wrapped in parchment paper. Allow to set up on your refrigerator a few more hours to 3 days before serving.
- Roll in chopped herbs before serving.
- Serve on toasted baguette topped with the pear and cranberry compote.
To Make the Pear and Cranberry Compote:
- Place all the ingredients together in a medium saucepan, and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes or until the fruit is tender and the liquid is thick reduced.
Calories: | Carbs: g | Fat: g | Protein: g | Sugar: g | Sodium: mg
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.