This delicious stew has a rich, gravy-like consistency. It is paired perfectly over polenta, mashed potatoes, or whatever your heart desires. Stay warm this holiday season with this flavorful stew.
Mushroom Stew With Herbs [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2.2 pounds of white or brown mushrooms
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika powder
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 bunch parsley or chives
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Clean the mushrooms, by wiping them carefully with kitchen paper to remove any dirt that might stick to them. Halve or quarter the mushrooms, depending on their size. If they are very small, you can leave them whole, the dish will look particularly pretty in this case. Chop the stems in 2 or 3 pieces as well. Set aside.
- Finely chop the onions and the garlic cloves.
- Heat the oil and the vegan butter in a stew pot and cook the onions and the garlic until the onions are translucent. Add the mushrooms, cover the pot and leave to cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste, sweet paprika powder and some salt and pepper. Stir to coat the mushrooms with the spices.
- Add the white wine and let it bubble off completely. Add the vegetable broth, cover, and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Shortly before the end of the cooking time whisk the milk and the cornstarch together in a small bowl. Slowly pour the mixture into the pot while whisking all the time. Stir well and let cook for another two minutes or so until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Adjust the taste with the lemon juice and more salt and pepper. Chop the herbs and sprinkle the stew with them.