These oil-free stuffed sweet potatoes are perfect for lunch or dinner! The sweet potatoes are roasted at a low temperature, resulting in a perfectly sweet, creamy center that pairs well with the savory quinoa-mushroom filling and a dollop of smashed avocado. The finishing touch is a drizzle of sweet, creamy tahini sauce. Yum!
Mushroom Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes With Smashed Avocado [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa (rinsed and cooked in water or vegetable broth for more flavor)
- 35 small mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 of a red/purple onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed up
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon natural runny tahini
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 12 teaspoons water (or until desired consistency is reached)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place sweet potatoes on baking sheet and bake for 60-80 minutes until a fork goes in easily and it is soft.
- Rinse the quinoa and add it to a pot with either water or low sodium vegetable broth for more flavor (cook according to directions on your package).
- While quinoa is cooking chop the mushrooms and onion. once quinoa is basically done add the mushrooms, quinoa, onion powder, and pepper to the pot and give it a stir. Place top back on pot and let steam with no heat on for about 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare the avocado by placing in a small bowl and mashing. Prepare tahini dressing by mixing all ingredients in a small bowl and optional put in a baggy to make drizzling over the top easier.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, let cool and then one cool enough to handle mash the center and form a little spot for the quinoa mixture to go into.
- Top with mashed avocado and tahini drizzle.