Paniyaram is an Indian dish made from a lentil and rice batter that is steamed in pan with circular molds. You can use the mushroom masala that goes in this paniyaram as a side for roti or rice. Also, you can use any of your favorite veggies instead of mushrooms. This dish is ideal for packing for lunch or anytime you need an easy meal to grab!
Mushroom Paniyaram: Indian Steamed Savory Cakes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups room temperature gluten-free idli/dosa batter
- 5 ounces Brown Bella mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 5 to 7 curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons oil plus more for cooking
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal/black gram
- 1 teaspoon chana dal/yellow split peas
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon dagad phool powder (or substitute more garam masala)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder
- Clean and chop the Bella mushrooms finely. Chop the onion and cilantro and set aside.
- Heat the pan and add oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, and curry leaves.
- As the mustard seeds start to splutter, add the chopped onions and cook until translucent.
- Then add the chopped mushroom and all the spice powders (garam masala, pepper powder, and dagad phool powder) and salt.
- Mix it well and cover and cook for two minutes. Do not add water.
- Remove the lid and cook until all the water evaporates.
- Add the chopped cilantro and mix well.Let this mix cool a bit.
- Add the prepared mushroom masala to the paniyaram batter and mix well.
- Heat the appe/paniyaram pan and add oil to each mold.
- Once it is hot, fill 3/4 of the mold with the mushroom masala batter and let it cook for a minute.
- Using the paniyaram stick, flip the paniyarams and let it cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Then carefully remove it from the pan. Prepare paniyarams in a similar way with the remaining batter.