While you can make fajitas in a variety of ways depending on your preferences, this classic vegan version is a surefire winner! With marinated portobellos, homemade taco seasoning and effortless chimichurri sauce, these fajitas are a savory bomb of flavor that will taste like they took all day to make. Top with a drizzle of vegan sour cream and a dollop of guacamole for additional deliciousness.
Mushroom Fajitas With Chimichurri [Vegan]
For the Fajita Filling:
- 2-3 large Portobello mushrooms
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 red onion
- 1 jalapeño, sliced in half, seeds removed, and sliced
For the Marinade:
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 minced chili in Adobo sauce
For the Taco Seasoning:
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley (thick stems cut off)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon Spanish seasonings (cumin, chili powder, etc)
- 1/4 of 1 medium white or red onion
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
For the Tacos:
- 6 corn tortillas
- Avocado or guacamole (optional)
- Vegan sour cream (optional)
- Cilantro (optional)
- To make the chimichurri sauce, place all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Remove stems of mushrooms, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3-inch thick slices. Take all the marinade ingredients and whisk together in a bowl. Add the mushrooms to a large container and top with the marinade. Soak overnight.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion. Make taco seasoning by combining all the ingredients in a bowl. Heat a griddle and grill all the fajita veggies and top with marinade from mushrooms and taco seasoning. Cook 7-8 minutes until soft. Top with additional lime as they cook. While the veggies cook prepare your toppings of choice. Lastly take the mushroom caps bottom side up and top with additional marinade and spices. Cook for 5 minutes, remove from heat, let slightly cool and slice.
- Warm the tortillas on the grill for more flavor and aesthetic appeal.
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.