Yum! Did you ever have Chicken à la King? How about Turkey à la King? Enter this fabulously scrumptious vegan version of the creamy à la King: Mushroom à la King! It's made with mushroom, onion, bell peppers, cashews, peas! Super creamy and delicious. Serve this mushroom à la King with rice or bread for yummy dinner!
Mushroom à la King [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms (any kind—I used white button and shiitake), sliced
- 1 medium-sized sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups pure water
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet peas (frozen is fine)
- Water saute the mushrooms, onion and peppers until tender.
- Place the cashews into a high-powered blender with one cup of water. Blend until smooth. Add the remaining water and blend again until smooth.
- Add the cashew cream to the veggies with the black pepper and the peas. Stir well and simmer until hot. Add more water if the cashew cream gets too thick. It should be the consistency of a cream sauce.
- Serve on top of rice, pasta or… toast!