These crunchy noodles are a traditional Indian snack food. Janthikalu go perfectly with coffee and are almost impossible to stop eating. The recipe makes a lot of these savory treats so it's great if you are having people over.
Murukku: Crispy Indian Rice and Lentil Flour Snack [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup urad flour (black lentil flour)
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- Salt, to taste
- Combine urad flour, rice flour, sesame seeds, red chili powder, cumin, and salt.
- Whisk the ingredients well.
- Add the melted coconut oil and just enough water to make a smooth dough.
- Heat enough oil in a pan for deep frying the janthikalu.
- Lightly spray and get the janthikalu mold ready. When the oil is hot enough, take a piece of the dough and place it in the mold, press it directly into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on medium flame or until the janthikalu is golden brown on one side. Gently flip it and fry it for another 1-2 minutes on the second side.
- Remove it with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- Repeat this with the remaining dough.
Store the janthikalu in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.