Mung beans are one of the best plant-based sources of protein. Additionally, these beans are rich in antioxidants, magnesium, potassium, iron, fiber, and folate which are all nutrients that help our bodies to function optimally. This Mung Bean Coconut Asparagus Soup is the perfect way to consume this amazing ingredient. This soup is delicious, hearty, and will keep you satisfied for hours.
Mung Bean Coconut Asparagus Soup [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/3 teaspoon ajwain seeds
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons sambar powder
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder
- 1 yukon potato, diced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons green seasoning
- 1 cup soaked and rinsed mung beans
- Black pepper to taste
- Pink Himalayan to taste
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 bunch asparagus, washed with ends snapped off
- 1 can coconut milk or 1.5 cups freshly made coconut milk
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 of a lime squeezed
- Filtered water as needed
- Add your oil to the pan and allow it to get hot. Add your seeds and sauté for 30 seconds to a minute. Be careful to not let them burn.
- Then add your onions and dried spices and allow them to "burn" or become aromatic for a minute.
- Add your potatoes, fresh ginger, a little salt, green seasoning and soaked mung beans.
- Season your pot with black pepper and salt to taste.
- Add your carrots and filtered water to the pot then cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Add your asparagus, coconut milk, fresh cilantro and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Blend until smooth and serve with homemade sweet potato flat bread.