This simple Mujadara for one brings the amazing combination of freshly cooked rice, lentils, caramelized onions, and Middle Eastern spices to a work lunch near you. You will love the warmth this dish brings to your body and the incredible smell that wafts through the house the moment you make it. Since it's single-serve, you don't have to worry about reheating anything and this recipe can be made in a microwave or in the oven.
Mujadara For One [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup green lentils, soaked overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours
- 1/2 cup basmati rice, soaked overnight
- 1 1/2 cups water
- A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Cut onion into half moons. Preheat a pan on low-medium heat, and add oil. Sautee onions until they begin to turn translucent, 10 minutes. Once the color starts to change, lower heat to low and let onions continue cooking for an additional 20 minutes, stirring only occassionally, until all onions have caramelized. Set aside.
- When packing your lunch, arrange lentils, spices and olive oil at the bottom of your ramekin. Top with rice. Keep onions and coriander separate.
For Microwave Preparation:
- When ready to cook your lunch, add water. Microwave on high heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes, until holes of steam have been created in the rice. Cover with lid and microwave for an additional 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and let rest with the lid on for an additional 5 minutes.
For Oven or Toaster Oven Preparation:
- When ready to cook your lunch, boil water. Add boiling water, and cook, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, until water has evaporated and rice is cooked. Fluff with fork and let rest with a lid on for an additional five minutes.
- Top with caramelized onions and coriander, and serve immediately.