These delightfully aromatic burgers are a great way to use leftover butternut squash.
Moroccan Spiced Lentil Butternut Squash Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 small onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 small piece of turmeric (or 2 teaspoons turmeric)
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1/2 cup cooked butternut squash
- Coarsely chop the onions and carrots and sauté in water or oil. Use a rasp for the garlic and turmeric and add to the onions and carrots. Coarsely chop the parsley and add to the mixture along with the cumin, cinnamon and salt. Cook until just softening.
- Add the rice, lentils and squash to the food processor. Add the vegetables and process until the whole thing comes together and kind of pulls away from the sides of the processor bowl (kind of like dough). Turn out into a bowl and divide up the mixture so that the burgers end up the same size.
- Pan fry until heated through or bake in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes. Freeze any leftover burgers using parchment paper to separate them in the container.