I'm happy to say that I am not addicted to caffeine, nor do I feel the need to drink it every day to complete all my academic work, but it undeniably gives me the little kick I sometimes need when I'm lacking sleep or have a particularly gruesome day ahead. Sometimes, when tea just doesn't cut it, coffee is simply a nice pick-me-up. But let's face it -- there aren't a lot of combinations better than coffee and chocolate. (Of course, we all know peanut butter would kick this recipe right up to a divine level -- ooooh, the temptation. Future recipe? I think so.)
Mocha Cupcakes [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mocha Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 150g (1 cup) self-raising flour
- 100g (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) brown sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 heaped tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 2 heaped tsp coffee granules mixed with a splash of hot water; or a shot of espresso
- 1 tbsp soy yogurt
- 250g (1 cup) vegan margarine
- 750g (& + 1/2 cup) confectioner’s sugar
- 3 tsp coffee extract
How to Prepare Mocha Cupcakes [Vegan]
- Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC (356ºF).
- Curdle the milk by adding the apple cider vinegar to it. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Fold in the extract, coffee, curdled milk and soy yogurt. Bear it in mind that if you handle the batter too much, i.e. over-mix it, the batter will toughen and the cupcakes will turn out to be quite dense and heavy.
- Pour into lined cupcake tins and bake for 25 mins. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the frosting: combine all the ingredients with an electric beater (easier and quicker than beating by hand, not to mention less messy). Refrigerate until the cupcakes are cooled, then decorate as you see fit.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.