A delicious warming and flavorsome chunky soup, this dish definitely fills the spot. With sweet potato, carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, and mixed beans, this soup is filled with wholesome nutritional goodness! Adjust the spiciness level to your liking!
Mixed Herb Lentil and Wild Rice Soup [Vegan]
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, cleaned and sliced
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 medium butternut, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 red chili, finely diced and de-seeded if a lower spice level is desired
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can organic lentils
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil, for frying the onion and garlic
- 1 1/2 cup cooked mixed wild rice (brown, red, and black)
- 1/2 cup canned mixed beans
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 teaspoons dried herbs (sage, rosemary, thyme, and oregano)
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil. Add the onion and sauté, gradually adding the garlic and finely diced chili.
- Once the onion is brown, add the chopped sweet potato, carrot, celery, cherry tomatoes, and butternut. Stir for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium, put on the lid and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the lentils and mixed beans. Add to the pot along with the rice, herbs, and salt.
- Continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes.
- You can add more water if you wish to reach a thinner soup consistency. If you like you can also blend the soup with a stick blender, for a smoother texture.
- Serve with a sprig of fresh thyme.