These mini tarts are the perfect treat to bring to a fancy dinner because they look as impressive as they taste. The coconut macaroon tart shells are filled with a rich, creamy lemon curd that will steal the show at any dinner. Plus, they are individually sized so nobody has to share.
Mini Coconut Macaroon Tarts With Lemon Curd [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tart Shells:
- 1/2 cup softened coconut butter
- 1 heaping cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
For the Lemon Crud:
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked at least 2 hours
- 1/3 cup raw agave (or more depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 lemon, zested
To Make the Tart Shells:
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- Grease 8 cups in a 12 cup muffin tin.
- Combine the coconut butter, maple syrup, and vanilla in a bowl until they're smooth and thick.
- In a separate bowl, combine the coconut and sea salt.
- Add the coconut butter mixture to the coconut and mix until a thick dough forms. When you stir it, it should start forming a ball on its own.
- Divide the macaroon mixture into 8 equal portions. Pick up a portion of the dough, roll it into a ball, then place it in the greased tin. Gently press it down with your fingers so that it makes a tart shell in the tin. You don’t have to come all the way up the sides because it will puff a bit as it bakes. Continue with the rest of the macaroon dough. It should fill 8 cups, depending on the size of your pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake the macaroon cups for 25-30 minutes. They should be puffed and golden.
- Cool the macaroon cups in the pan completely before removing them gently with a knife.
To Make the Lemond Crud:
- Drain the cashews and rinse them off.
- In a high-speed blender, combine the lemon juice, soaked cashews, agave, and 1/3 cup of the coconut milk.
- Blend them until they're smooth and liquefied.
- Pour this mixture into a pan and gently bring it to a low boil, whisking it often.
- Once you start to see it bubble, Turn the heat down to low.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the arrowroot and 1 tablespoon of coconut milk. Add this to the curd mixture and whisk it well until it starts to thicken.
- Once it thickens immediately remove it from the heat and whisk in the lemon zest. Pour the mixture into a jar and cool it completely in the refrigerator.
- Place a dollop into each tart shell and decorate them however you like.