Mille-Feuille is a beloved French pastry with layers of crispy, buttery puff pastry, custard filling, and a chocolate and vanilla frosting. You can get all ingredients in your supermarket and baking the dessert is far easier than it seems! All you have to do is to bake a sheet of puff pastry, slice into three equal pieces, make your own vegan vanilla custard (vegan crème pâtissière), assemble, and then add the glazing on top.
Mille Feuille With Homemade Custard [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mille Feuille With Homemade Custard [Vegan]
- 1 roll of puff pastry
For the Custard Filling (crème pâtissière):
- 2 cups of non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/5 cup and 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow food coloring (optional)
For the Vanilla Icing:
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Icing:
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon non-dairy milk (optional)
How to Prepare Mille Feuille With Homemade Custard [Vegan]
- Preheat your oven to 390°F.
- Roll out a puff pastry sheet on a baking tray.
- Pierce it with a fork to avoid bubbles when it bakes. You want an equally baked flat sheet. To make sure it stays as flat and bakes as evenly as possible place a baking paper sheet on top and then weigh down with another tray.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- When it's baked, take it out and cut the puff pastry into three equal size pieces (these will form the three layers of your mille-feuille).
- For the vanilla custard filling, bring 2 cups of milk and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to a boil.
- Then add sugar and corn starch.
- Transfer the mixture to a heat-resistant blender and blend until you get a nice smooth texture. Pour back into the pan, lower the heat and cook for another 10 minutes until it thickens.
- Alternatively, instead of adding the starch to the boiling milk and then blending it, you can also dissolve it in some of the cold milk, then stir it into the hot milk with the sugar and cook for 10 minutes on a lower heat.
- Transfer to a container and let cool down in your refrigerator.
- To make the icing, add 1 cup of icing sugar, 1 tablespoon of milk, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract to a bowl and mix together until there are no lumps.
- When the custard has cooled down, add it to one of three puff pastry pieces- this will be your first layer. Spread evenly and then add another layer of puff pastry on top.
- Repeat the process.
- Then place the final layer of puff pastry on top and evenly spread the sugar icing on it. Make sure you leave a bit of icing.
- To create the chocolate icing, add 1 tablespoon (or less) of cocoa powder to the leftover icing and mix together. If this becomes too thick add a tiny bit more milk to it.
- Drizzle the chocolate sauce over the sugar icing in a criss-cross pattern.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2171 | Total Carbs: 304 g | Total Fat: 94 g | Total Protein: 27 g | Total Sodium: 1285 g | Total Sugar: 144 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.