This carrot soup goes fantastically well with the shiitake cilantro stir-fry. The recipe makes a rather mild soup, so for anyone preferring more spicy food I would recommend adding more ginger to the soup.
Coconut Carrot Soup With Shiitake and Spring Onion [Vegan]
- 2 cups water
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1.5 tbsp. vegetable stock
- 5 large carrots, chopped
- 1 small clove garlic
- ½ thumb-size ginger (or more for spicier soup)
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms (halved if large)
- 1 thumb size ginger, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tamari (or other gluten free soy sauce)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 large bunch cilantro, finely chopped (stems included)
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced, half the greens included)
- Juice from one lime
- Start off by doing all the chopping: carrots, cilantro, garlic, ginger, spring onion and mushrooms (if needed).
- Put the water, coconut milk, vegetable stock and chopped carrots in a pot and boil for three to four minutes until the carrots start to soften slightly.
- During these few minutes, stir-fry the mushrooms on medium to high heat in a pan for a couple of minutes together with the water, the tamari, the chopped ginger and garlic. Then remove from the stove, and add the chopped spring onion and the cilantro.
- Transfer the soup (carrots/water/coconut milk) to a food processor, add the garlic and the ginger and run on full speed for half a minute or until completely smooth. Then pour into serving bowls, and add a very generous serving of the mushroom/spring-onion/cilantro mix. Squeeze over some lime and serve immediately.