This Mexican Picante Sandwich is protein packed, hearty, flavorful, and a tad bit messy (but oh so worth it!) Prep the individual components and you can throw it together in minutes for a quick, satiating and oh-so-pretty lunch that will get you through your busy week.
Mexican Picante Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Spice Mix:
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Cabbage Slaw:
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo (use oil free mayo if you'd like)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
For the Rest:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 block medium or firm tofu
- 1 can spicy refried beans (or 1 can regular refried beans with a 1/2 jalapeño, diced and mixed in)
- 1 small jar fire roasted peppers, sliced into long strips (or roast your own!)
- 4 square buns
- 1/8 cup cilantro, chopped
- Mix the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, black pepper and salt in a small dish. Divide the mix in half (3 1/8 teaspoon of the mix divided into 2 dishes).
- Make your coleslaw by chopping up the red cabbage and red onion.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon of vegan mayo and fresh lime juice together and toss the cabbage/ red onion with this mix. Set it aside.
To make the Refried Beans:
- Add your spicy refried beans to a skillet over medium heat and mix with 1/2 of the spice mix. Heat, stirring frequently until warm about 5 minutes.
To make the Tofu:
- Mix the second half of the spice mix with 1/4 cup water. In a separate skillet crumble your tofu small with your hands and heat it up for about 5 minutes. Add the water/spice mix and stir to combine well. Heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350-400°F and after slicing your buns place them cut side up in the oven and toast them for about 2 minutes. Remove.
- On the bottom half of each square, spread a layer of spicy refried beans and then add a layer of scrambled tofu on top.
- Add a thin layer of cut fire roasted peppers, coleslaw mix and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Cover with top bun and enjoy!!