This Mexican Picante Sandwich is protein packed, hearty, flavorful, and a tad bit messy (but oh so worth it!) Prep the individual components and you can throw it together in minutes for a quick, satiating and oh-so-pretty lunch that will get you through your busy week.
Mexican Picante Sandwich [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Mexican Picante Sandwich [Vegan]
For the Spice Mix:
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Cabbage Slaw:
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo (use oil free mayo if you'd like)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
For the Rest:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 block medium or firm tofu
- 1 can spicy refried beans (or 1 can regular refried beans with a 1/2 jalapeño, diced and mixed in)
- 1 small jar fire roasted peppers, sliced into long strips (or roast your own!)
- 4 square buns
- 1/8 cup cilantro, chopped
How to Prepare Mexican Picante Sandwich [Vegan]
- Mix the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, turmeric, black pepper and salt in a small dish. Divide the mix in half (3 1/8 teaspoon of the mix divided into 2 dishes).
- Make your coleslaw by chopping up the red cabbage and red onion.
- Mix the 1 tablespoon of vegan mayo and fresh lime juice together and toss the cabbage/ red onion with this mix. Set it aside.
- Add your spicy refried beans to a skillet over medium heat and mix with 1/2 of the spice mix. Heat, stirring frequently until warm about 5 minutes.
- Mix the second half of the spice mix with 1/4 cup water. In a separate skillet crumble your tofu small with your hands and heat it up for about 5 minutes. Add the water/spice mix and stir to combine well. Heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350-400°F and after slicing your buns place them cut side up in the oven and toast them for about 2 minutes. Remove.
- On the bottom half of each square, spread a layer of spicy refried beans and then add a layer of scrambled tofu on top.
- Add a thin layer of cut fire roasted peppers, coleslaw mix and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Cover with top bun and enjoy!!
To make the Refried Beans:
To make the Tofu:
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.