I’m not going to waste anyone’s time here today. These are waffles. They’ve got chocolate and beer in them – but no oil and no sugar – and they are good. Now go and spend your morning with them.
Mexican Chocolate Waffles [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp.cinnamon
- pinch chipotle chile powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp. powdered stevia
- 1 12 oz. Mexican lager
- 4 oz. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp. water (whisk until frothy, then set aside for a few minutes)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- The night before making waffles, open the bottle of beer and pour it into a glass. Drink. Now, open a second bottle of beer and pour it into a large measuring cup and place it in the refrigerator so that it goes flat.
- The next morning, put a couple of plates in the oven and turn it on to about 200F – to take the chill off of the plates and so you can keep the waffles warm and toasty. Get your waffle iron heating as well.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, chile powder, salt and stevia.
- Mix the applesauce, vanilla extract and flaxseed meal in with the flat beer. Pour this into the dry mixture and stir until combined. When the waffle iron is hot, lightly spray with oil and then spoon on enough batter to almost reach the edges. Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until crispy and easily removed from the iron. Continue with the remainder of the batter.