This delicious savory oatmeal is full of Mediterranean flavors and nutrients that your body will appreciate in the morning. Savory oatmeal bowls are so satiating and filling, much more so than their sweeter counterparts.
Mediterranean Savory Oatmeal with Millet [Vegan]
For the Savory Oatmeal:
- 1 tablespoon whole oat groats
- 1/2 of a small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon millet berries, soak
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- A dash of black pepper
- A dash of Himalayan salt (if necessary)
- 4 cherry, grape or roma tomatoes, oven-baked
- Water for desired consistency
To Garnish (optional):
- Fresh thyme
- Sunflower seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Start by soaking oat groats and millet in separate bowls overnight. Rinse and drain.
- In the morning, when you start to make the porridge, put rolled oats into a small bowl and add just enough warm water to cover them. Set aside.
- Next, bake the tomatoes in the oven at 390°F for about 20 minutes until the tomatoes are blistered and beginning to burst.
- While the tomatoes are in the oven, in a small saucepan, simmer soaked oat groats and chopped onion for 3 minutes. Then, throw in millet and add water to almost level with the ingredients. Cover with lid and bring to boil. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Next, add rinsed baby spinach on top of the other ingredients and cover with a lid. Simmer for 1 minute and then turn off the heat.
- Now it’s time to stir in crushed garlic, chopped fresh thyme, soaked rolled oats, tomato paste, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Finally, go in a few oven-baked tomatoes. Crush them and mix into porridge. And add hot water if the porridge is too dry.
- Garnish with a few more oven-baked tomatoes, some fresh thyme, sunflower seeds, and sesame seeds.