This vegan Mediterranean lentil salad takes full advantage of summer vegetables: tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and parsley. It’s very easy to make and is an excellent source of protein, fiber, and antioxidants.
Mediterranean Lentil Salad [Vegan]
For the Lentil Salad:
- 4 cups cooked French green lentils (from 2 cups dry lentils)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
- 2 tablespoon capers
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the cooked lentils, celery, cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes, olives, capers, and parsley in a large bowl.
- Add all of the dressing ingredients to a jar, secure the lid, and shake vigorously to combine. Pour the dressing over the lentils and vegetables. Toss to coat.
- Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to enjoy.
To cook dry lentils, rinse the lentils through a fine sieve and place in a large pot. Cover with an inch or two of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn down heat to medium high and maintain a steady simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender but not falling apart, about 20 minutes. Drain, rinse, and proceed with the recipe. If you can’t find French green lentils, brown or black lentils also work.