Let’s take veggie burgers to a whole new level, shall we? These meatloaf veggie burgers are like that classic weeknight dinner in an amazing burger form. They're made from a hearty combination mushrooms, chickpeas, and lentils, baked with a sweet ketchup glaze, and then topped with creamy cauliflower mash and gravy. A bite of this burger is like taking a step right into comfort food heaven.
Meatloaf Veggie Burger With Cauliflower Mash and Gravy [Vegan]
For the Burgers:
- 2-3 teaspoons oil
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, diced
- 3/4 cup carrot, grated
- 3/4 cup chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 3/4 cup green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/3 cups toasted gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely toasted walnuts, finely chopped
For the Glaze:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
For the Cauliflower Mash:
- 1 head of cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- A splash (or two) of non-dairy milk of choice
For the Gravy:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Burgers:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Make the flax egg by whisking ground flax seed with water in a small cup. Set aside.
- Sauté the onion and garlic together with a pinch of salt, until the onions and garlic are translucent. Add mushrooms and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Empty the mixture into a food processor and add chickpeas, parsley, thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and tamari. Pulse until the mixture resembles tuna salad, scraping down the sides as needed. Add lentils and pulse again — the mixture should stay chunky.
- Transfer to a bowl and add walnuts, bread crumbs.
- Make the glaze by stirring all ingredients together. Line or grease a baking sheet.
- Scoop a small amount of the mixture and using your hands, form a 3/4-inch thick patty. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip, brush each patty with the glaze, and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
To Make the Cauliflower Mash:
- Chop one head of cauliflower into small florets. Steam florets on the stove until they are very tender. Drain the florets and add them to a food processor with salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon vegan butter, and a splash of non-dairy milk. Process the cauliflower until it is smooth and creamy. Add another splash of milk to adjust the texture of the mash.
To Make the Gravy:
- In a skillet, add 3 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour. Cook the flour on medium heat for 1-2 minutes. In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup non-dairy milk with 1 cup of water. Slowly pour some of the milk mixture (not all yet!) into the flour and whisk together. Add the dried thyme and soy sauce and continue to whisk. As the gravy thickens, add more of the milk mixture. Continue to whisk and add until the gravy is at the consistency you like.
Burger adapted from edible perspective's meatloaf veggie burger.