This cake is four layers of pure decadence. The light, fluffy vanilla cakes are flavored with earthy matcha and homemade pistachio milk. It's coated with a rich frosting made from coconut yogurt and homemade vegan condensed milk. Make this show-stopping cake for your next big event.
Matcha Pistachio Tres Leches Cake [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Matcha Pistachio Tres Leches Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- Coconut oil for greasing the springform pan
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons plain white flour
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 2 1/2 cups, plus 1 tablespoon fine coconut sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- A good pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon of homemade pistachio milk (see below), plus about 6 extra tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds, plus 9 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 6 teaspoons of matcha powder
For the Pistachio Milk:
- 1 cup of pistachio nuts, soaked overnight
- 3 cups of water
- 1 date, pit removed
For the Vegan Condensed Milk:
- 2/3 cup of pistachio milk, or 1/3 pistachio and 1/3 almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
For the Frosting:
- 31.75 ounces coconut yogurt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
For the Decorating the Cake:
- Flowers and pistachio nuts (optional)
How to Prepare Matcha Pistachio Tres Leches Cake [Vegan]
To Make the Pistachio Milk:
- The night before baking this cake soak the pistachio nuts in filtered water. They need to be just covered in water. The next day, strain the nuts and give them a good rinse. Place them in a high-speed blender, together with the date and water and pulse. Then, strain the milk through a cheesecloth or towel. Save the pulp in a container in your freezer for future baking and set the pulp-free pistachio milk aside.
To Make the Cake:
- Grease the edged of 4 6-inch springform pans, ideally with bottoms that are removable. Preheat the oven to 335°F.
- Next combine, the ground flaxseed with the water and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and sugar, but not the matcha).
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil, vanilla, 3/4 cup of pistachio milk, and ground flaxseed mixture.
- Next, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and briefly combine. Then, split the batter into 4 parts, each placed in its own bowl. The first mixture can go into the prepared springform pan as is.
- Add 1 teaspoon of matcha and 1 tablespoon of pistachio milk to the second part of the dough. Combine, then place in the second prepared cake pan.
- Then, add 2 teaspoons of matcha powder and 2 tablespoons of milk to the third part of the dough. Combine and pour into the third cake pan.
- Lastly, add 3 teaspoons of matcha powder and 3 tablespoons of milk to the fourth and last part of the cake dough. Combine and pour into the final cake pan.
- Place all 4 pans into your oven and bake for 25 minutes, or until ready.
To Make the Vegan Condensed Milk:
- While the cake is baking, prepare the condensed milk by combining the ingredients in a pot and gently allowing it to simmer over a low heat, stirring until it reduces to the desired consistency, about 10 minutes.
To Make the Frosting:
- Next, prepare the frosting by just combining the two ingredients.
To Assemble the Cake:
- When the cake layers are ready, remove from the oven and let cool.
- Then poke little holes into the cake layers with a fork.
- Pour the condensed milk over the cake layers and allow it to be absorbed. The cake layers should be moist, but not wet.
- Then start frosting, decorate with flowers, and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 6933 | Total Carbs: 1104 g | Total Fat: 264 g | Total Protein: 83 g | Total Sodium: 2787 g | Total Sugar: 859 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.