Take a fresh new look at gyros with these tempeh "gyro tacos." Tempeh is marinated in a blend of Greek flavors, then paired with dairy-free tzatziki and topped with cucumber "salsa." Full of flavor, and perfect for the next Taco Tuesday.
Marinated Tempeh Gyro Tacos With Cucumber Salsa [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Tacos:
- 1, 8-ounce block tempeh, sliced
- Splash olive oil
- 6, 6-inch whole wheat tortillas (or gluten-free tortillas)
For the Tempeh Marinade:
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, rosemary, onion powder, and garlic powder, each
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, salt and black pepper, each
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, tomato paste, low sodium tamari sauce, and sesame oil, each
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
- 6-ounces vegan greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper, each
For the Cucumber Salsa:
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Combine all ingredients for the tempeh marinade. Toss with tempeh slices and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for the tzatziki sauce in a small bowl, and all ingredients for the cucumber salsa in another small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a large skillet. Add tempeh slices to the skillet so that they all have contact with the skillet's surface. Cook in batches if necessary. Cook tempeh until golden brown and starting to crisp.
- To prepare tacos, spread about 1 tablespoon tzatziki sauce over each of the tortillas. Top with tempeh strips, cucumber salsa, and another drizzle of tzatziki. Serve.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile