I wanted to make some zucchini bread but I decided I wanted to make it in doughnut form instead. They are baked rather than fried so they are really just like cake in the form of a doughnut. I love the size and shape and the baked edges that this makes. It's kind of reminiscent of muffin tops.
Maple Zucchini Doughnuts With Date Frosting [Vegan]
For the Doughnuts:
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups pure maple syrup
- 1 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup vegetable or coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed soaked in 1/4 cup water for 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Date Frosting:
- 1 cup dried dates soaked in hot water for 10 minutes.
- 2-3 tablespoons warm water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
To Make the Doughnuts:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Flour, salt, baking soda and powder, nuts.
- Add zucchini to dry ingredients.
- Mix all wet ingredients together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Spoon batter into doughnut pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minuted or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
To Make the Date Frosting:
- Remove dates from water. Save water.
- Place dates and maple syrup in food processor and blend until thick and fairly smooth.
- Add a little hot water as needed to thin if it is too thick..
- Spread on doughnuts.