Sweetly-glazed carrots and a heaping dollop of lentils sit atop a wilted bed of bok choy. While the flavors of this dish are drastically different, they all meld together perfectly with the help of the rich sunchoke cream. This dish is a foodie's dream.
Maple-Orange Carrots With Sunchoke Cream [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Maple-Orange Carrots With Sunchoke Cream [Vegan]
- 1 cup green lentils, dry
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch carrots
- 1 small shallot
- 2 heads baby bok choy
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- 1 orange, juiced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon, plus 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 8 ounces sunchokes, peeled
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 5 min
- 1 tablespoon chickpea or mellow white miso
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon umeboshi paste
- Lemon juice, to taste
For the Marinade:
For the Sunchoke Cream:
How to Prepare Maple-Orange Carrots With Sunchoke Cream [Vegan]
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils and a pinch of salt and simmer until lentils are soft, approximately 20 minutes.
- In a separate pot, add the sunchokes and cover with an inch of water. Simmer until sunchokes are soft. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Add maple syrup, orange juice, and avocado oil to a small bowl. Whisk until emulsified.
- Slice the carrots in half lengthwise. Peel the shallot and slice thinly along the grain. Toss with half of the marinade and roast in oven until slightly brown, approximately 30 minutes.
- Slice the bok choy heads in half. Heat a pan with 2 teaspoons avocado oil on medium-high heat for 1 minute. Place the bok choy cut side down and sear for about 2 minutes, making sure not to burn.
- Heat a pan on low-medium heat. Add the remainder of the marinade and reduce until thick, approximately 5 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Add water to thin out, as needed.
- Spoon a generous portion of the sunchoke cream to the bottom of a plate. Add the desired amount of lentils and top with carrots and bok choy. Drizzle with the maple orange reduction. Garnish with cilantro, if using.
To Make the Marinade:
To Make the Sunchoke Cream Sauce:
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.