What's better than doughnuts? Healthier, baked doughnuts that are also gluten-free, vegan, and naturally sweetened! These rings of sugary sweetness are filled with the seasonal flavors of pumpkin spice and maple. Bake them and enjoy the smell of fall cookin' that will fill your hojme!
Maple-Glazed Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Doughnuts:
- 3/4 cup spelt flour or gluten-free flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh pumpkin purée (homemade or canned)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Maple Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons nut butter (creamy peanut or almond butter)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pistachios, finely chopped (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- If using homemade purée, slice a small sugar pie pumpkin in half and scoop the seeds out. Place in a deep baking dish and pour 1-2 inches of water in the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil or parchment and allow to steam in the over until tender. Remove from until, allow to cool before removing skins and puréeing the pumpkin.
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Next, combine the wet ingredients in a saucepan and gently heat for 1-2 minutes, avoid boiling. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into a donut pan, or without a pan use a muffin tin or small 4-inch springform cake pans with a smaller ringmold in the center to create a donut shape. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes, or until firm on the outside and lightly moist on the inside. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool before glazing and garnishing.
- Combine the nut butter and maple syrup in a saucepan and gently heat on medium-low, stir frequently. Remove from heat and spread the glaze evenly over top the cooled donuts. Sprinkle with a dusting of chopped pistachios.