The recipe works best with a mac uncheese made with elbow macaroni or another very small pasta shape.
Mac Uncheese Balls [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) vegan butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (78 g) all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) plain unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 packed cup (weight varies) leftover or homemade mac uncheese
- Neutral vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) hot water
- 1 cup (50 g) panko bread crumbs
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir until well mixed and bubbling.
- Slowly whisk in the milk until fully blended with no lumps. Use a silicone spatula to continuously scrape the bottom of the pan to keep the sauce from burning. When thick and bubbly, remove from the heat and stir in the mac uncheese.
- Taste and add salt, as needed. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 3 hours to firm up.
- When the mixture is firm, use a spoon to scoop out an 11/2-inch (3.5 cm) ball. Roll it between your hands to shape it, pressing down a bit to remove any air pockets. Repeat until the mixture is used up.
- In a 3-quart pot over medium-high heat, heat about 2 inches (5 cm) of vegetable oil, keeping the temperature between 350°F and 375°F.
- Place the remaining 1/2 cup of flour into a shallow bowl. In a second shallow bowl, stir together the ground flaxseed and hot water until blended. Place the panko in a third shallow bowl.
- Roll each ball in the flour to coat evenly, then in the flax mixture, turning to coat well.
- Drop the balls in the panko and roll around to coat evenly.
- Line a wire rack with paper towels and set aside.
- Working in batches, place the balls into the hot oil and fry, rolling them around so they brown evenly, until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to the prepared rack to drain. Let cool for 1 minute before serving. .