This dish is so creamy and decadent, you will never guess it’s a healthier mac and cheese! Butternut squash noodles keep it gluten and grain-free and it takes only six ingredients to make! The sauce is creamy, velvety, and lusciously smooth and basically perfect. It's also ooey-gooey and cheesy without the cheese. If you love mac and cheese, then this is a must-make.
Mac and Cheese With Butternut Squash Noodles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and spiralized with a "B" blade
- 1 cup roasted salted cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 6-7 tablespoons nutritional yeast, to taste
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- 1-1 1/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- A generous pinch of pepper
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil up in a very large pan on medium/high heat, reserving the rest of the oil for later.
- Add in the diced onions and cook, stirring frequently until golden brown and soft. Add them into a high-powered blender.
- Add the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil into the pan, and turn the heat down to medium. Add in the spiralized butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles are wilted and fork tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- While the noodles cook, drain the water from the cashews and then toss the cashews into the blender, along with the yeast, almond milk, salt (read notes), and pepper.
- Blend together until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as necessary. The sauce should be pretty thick.
- Pour the sauce into the pot with the cooked noodles, and toss just to evenly coat the noodles.
This needs a fair bit of salt to really bring the flavor. It's recommended that you start with 1 teaspoon, and then adjusting to taste once blended together.