Lyxiga lussebullar, also known as Cornish tea treat buns and saffron buns, may not be known in the United States, but in Sweden and other European countries, they're part of a holiday tradition. Typically eaten on December 13th, St. Lucia's Day and throughout Advent, these light, fluffy buns get their golden color from saffron, but today most commercially available saffron buns use artificial colors. These luxurious, dairy-free saffron buns, though, use real saffron and are filled with a delicious, butter almond paste, then topped with flaked almonds. That’s what we're talking about!
Lyxiga Lussebullar: Swedish Saffron Buns [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- .35 ounces saffron
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons fresh yeast
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 1/4 tablespoons soft vegan butter
- 4-5 cups all-purpose flour or gluten-free flour blend
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup, plus 2 1/2 tablespoons soft, almost melted, vegan butter butter
- 1 1/3 cups almond paste
For the Coating:
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup almond flakes
- Boil the milk with saffron and allow to cool completely.
- Mix the cold milk mixture with the yeast, sugar, salt, soft margarine and flour until the dough becomes somewhat firm. Cover, place somewhere warm, and allow it to rise for 1-3 hours.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes in a machine, or 15-20 by hand. The dough should be smooth and come off easily from the sides of the bowl. If necessary, add more flour.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface, separate into two equal amounts, and roll out each. Spread the butter on top and then grate almond paste over that. Then roll up each large piece, cut approximately 1-inch thick rolls and put into muffin papers/molds.
- Cover and let rise again for about 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Mix the cream/milk and sugar in a saucepan and heat until the sugar is melted. Pour into a cup and let cool for a few minutes.
- Brush the buns with the milk/sugar mixture and sprinkle the flaked almonds on top. Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes.